Kampong Phluk is a cluster of three villages of stilted houses built within the floodplain about 16 km southeast of Siem Reap. The villages are primarily Khmer and have about 3000 inhabitants between them. Flooded mangrove forest surrounds the area and is home to a variety of wildlife including crab-eating macaques. During the dry season when the lake is low, the buildings in the villages seem to soar atop their 6-meter stilts exposed by the lack of water. At this time of year many of the villagers move out onto the lake and build temporary houses. In the wet season when water level rises, the villagers move back to their permanent houses on the floodplain, the stilts now hidden under the water. Kampong Phluk's economy is, as one might expect, based in fishing, primary in shrimp harvesting.
Kampong Phluk sees comparatively few foreign visitors and offers a close look at the submerged forest and lakeside village life. The area can be reached by boat from the Chong Khneas or by road. Make arrangements through your guesthouse of tour operator, or charter a boat at the Chong Khneas docks. During the wet season, drive to Roluos village just off Route #6 east of Siem Reap and then take a boat through the flooded forest the rest of the way. During the dry season the road is clear, making the boat unnecessary. Much of the road has recently been improved, now paved most of the way.
Kompong Phluk Floating Village is a permanent village opposed to floating, And it's about 25 kilometers east of Chong Khneas. Here is a much better option for you to visit a village on the lake. Kompong Phluk is accessible by boat only. Kompong Phluk is a relatively small village that provides very good insight into the village lifestyle of the Tonle Sap. This village exists almost exclusively on fishing and related activities. Houses are built on stilts up to 10 m high, and the village is surrounded by flooded forest.
- Siem Reap
Siem Reap Hotels
Siem Reap Tours
- Angkor Wat and Banteay Srei private day tour
- Charity Vacations 7Days-6Nights
- Majestic Angkor tour 3Days
- Jungle's Temples - Mekong Cities tour 4Days
- Small Group Sunset Cruise on Tonle Sap Lake with Cambodian drinks and Canape
- Angkor Highlights tour
- Private Overland Transfer Siem Reap to Phnom Penh
- Angkor Wat Private Tour in a Tuk Tuk
- Siem Reap Airport Visa on arrival & Fast Track Services
- Siem Reap & Phnom Penh Transfer (door to door service, Small Group)
- Phnom Kulen Group Excursions, 1000 Linga River and Reclining Buddha
- 4D3N-Overland to Cambodia, Angkor Wat Group Tour from Bangkok, Thailand