Beng Mealea is a temple in the Angkor Wat style located 40 km east of the main group of temples at Angkor, Cambodia, on the ancient royal highway to Preah Khan Kompong Svay.
Beng Mealea is a spectacular sight to behold. It’s one of the most mysterious temples at Angkor, as nature has well and truly run riot here. Built to the same floorplan as Angkor Wat, exploring this titanic of temples is Angkor’s ultimate Indiana Jones experience. The temple has been utterly subsumed by jungle, and standing just a few metres away from the south, visitors wend their way over lies of masonry, through long dark chambers and between hanging vines to arrive at the central tower, which has completely collapsed.
Hidden away among the rubble and foliage are several impressive carvings, as well as a well preserved library in the northeastern quadrant. The temple is a special place and it is worth taking the time to explore thoroughly. There is also now a large wooden walkway to the centre, constructed during the filming here of Jean – Jacques Annaud’s Two Brothers (2004) Beng Mealea is at the center of an ancient Angkorian road connecting Angkor Thom and Preah Khan in Preah Vihear Province. A small Angkorian bridge just west of Chau Srei Vibol temple is the only remaining trace of the old Angkorian road between Beng Mealea and Angkor Thom; between Beng Mealea and Preah Khan there are at least 10 bridges abandoned in the forest. This is a way for extreme adventurers to get to Preah Khan temple; however, don’t undertake this journey lightly.
- Siem Reap
Siem Reap Hotels
Siem Reap Tours
- Siem Reap Airport transfers - private from airport or hotel
- Roluos and Kompong Phluk tour 1Day
- Angkor Wat and Banteay Srei private day tour
- Siem Reap Phare Circus Show
- Phnom Kulen and Beng Melea tour 1Day
- 3-Day Majestic Angkor Wat, Siem Reap and Tonle Sap Lake Tour
- Sambor Prei Kuk tour 1Day
- Siem Reap Quad Bike Tour
- Full-day Small-Group Angkor Wat Tour from Siem Reap
- Angkor Wat Private Full Day Tour from Siem Reap
- Smile of Angkor Show
- 4D3N-Overland to Cambodia, Angkor Wat Group Tour from Bangkok, Thailand