Sunset watching at Bakheng Mountain is always a fun thing to do, especially when traveling. But at Angkor Wat, watching the sun going down is a very interesting event. Not because the sun looks prettier from there, but because there are so many people gathering for it.
Where do these people gather? At a temple called Phnom Bakheng (a short distance from the Angkor temple), and this place has been famous for a while now as the spot for sunset watching.
Some people think Phnom Bakheng is overrated and too crowded, while others think it's only so-so. But I found Phnom Bakheng to be a great place for an Angkor Wat sunset!
Why Bakheng Mountain is it a great place for sunset?
1. It is a great place, because the temple is on top of a hill. That way you'll get an unobstructed view of the sun as it goes down.
2. It is also a great place, because what could be more Cambodian than watching the sunset from an ancient Cambodian temple?
3. As a bonus, you'll also get to see the Angkor Wat complex from a distance, and at high elevation.
4. And finally, when you are at the top of the Phnom Bakheng temple, you have the enviable position of being able to see all 360 degrees of the landscape just by walking around from one corner to another. And the view is really pretty.
So, sunset or no sunset, Phnom Bakheng is indeed a cool place to be!
But, despite all the good things I mentioned above, I do have one minor 'objection' about this whole set up on sunset watching. And that is, the sun does not set behind Angkor Wat, which is what I have envisioned when I heard about Angkor Wat sunset ( I am sure other people did too). Now, wouldn't that be a magnificent photo op?
If there is another temple that can afforded sunset view of Angkor Wat, I'm sure that place will be an instant hit.
- Siem Reap
Siem Reap Hotels
Siem Reap Tours
- Angkor Wat Admission Ticket (1-Day Ticket) + Tuk Tuk
- Tonle Sap Lake Adventure 14Days-13Nights
- 4D3N-Overland to Cambodia, Angkor Wat Group Tour from Bangkok, Thailand
- Angkor Wat Private Day Tour from Siem Reap
- Sambor Prei Kuk tour 1Day
- Small Group Sunset Cruise on Tonle Sap Lake with Cambodian drinks and Canape
- Koh Ker and Beng Mealea Remote Temples Day Tours from Siem Reap
- Sunrise Angkor Wat and Royal Temples Tours by Tuk Tuk
- Kulen Elephant Forest and Tonle Sap Lake From Siem Reap
- Flight of Gibbon at Angkor Wat
- Private transfer from Siem Reap Bus station to hotel in the city
- The Grand Circuit Tour 1Day